[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] new Cog VMs

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:55:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 January 2011 00:15, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Martin, Hi All,
> >     so find new VMs in VM.r2341/.  The linux crashes (certainly the one
> you
> > suffered from Martin) seem to be caused by an optimization bug (but they
> > could be caused by bad code generation, creating something that assumes
> > ordering constraints which C doesn't guarantee).  I suspect the former
> > because I don't see the crash when running exactly the same VM and image
> > from a different directory; provoking the crash requires a particular
> path
> > (go figure; I haven't pinned this down yet).
> > So my "fix" is preventing a complex function being inlined into the main
> > interpreter loop, removing the sources of some warnings, and lowering the
> > optimization level of the gcc3x-cointerp.c file to -O1 from -O2 (my build
> > environment, CentOS Linux 5.3, uses gcc 4.1.2).  I'm not proud of this
> > "fix".  I've violated the Deutsch criterion by not diagnosing the cause
> of
> > the bug so I can't stand behind this fix; it's a hack that appears to
> work
> > and may have merely pushed the real bug further underground.  Alas I
> don't
> > have time to do a better job. Hopefully it'll get those of you on linux
> > going again.
>
> Eliot, if you remember, i also had crash issues on linux, and pinned down
> it to
> removing optimization from <something>heartbeat.c while keeping
> gcc3x-cointerp.c to use
>  same optimization flags as for rest of files.
>
> I will start coding cmake config for Cog during next week and will be
> able to check my previous
> observations again.

That would be really great.  The crash Martin and others was seeing was a)
in evaluating Process>priority: #>= ended up getting sent to the Processor
and in the subsequent attempt to raise a notifier for the doesNotUnderstand:
the VM crashed in MethodContext>>tempNames.  I only saw this crash using the
Pharo1.1 one click installed in /pub/mkobetic/st/pharo /and/ the VM
installed in  /pub/mkobetic/st/pharo/coglinux.  This was compiled with gcc
4.1.2, -O2.