[squeak-dev] Essay on using Squeak

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:55:28 UTC 2011

Hi Gary, this looks very similar to something I did last fall called
"MaOffice".  I never released it, but it is a "database of shared
whiteboards".  It simply presents a gateway screen where you can
search/select/edit existing whiteboards or create a new one.  The key
business-application feature is that (Maui-based) domain objects to be
dragged in directly into the whiteboard presentations so, for example,
you always have "current data" for example.  This is accomplished even
though the business objects reside in a separate repository from the
whiteboard repository (federated).

Each whiteboard is presented with a toolbar of carefully-selected
tools (Morphs).  Magma is used to persist and share the object-models
created by users' graphical manipulations, so it is a bit cumbersome
for multiple people to work simultaneously on the same whiteboard, but
by following a protocol, where each person makes changes only in their
own sub-rectangle (on the larger, main board), then it can be done
without commit-conflicts.

Furthermore, the composition can be reversed; whiteboards themselves
can be embedded as a "field" into any domain object (e.g., like a
super-duper #notes field).

 - Chris