[squeak-dev] [ANN] Four new OLPC Games by the Software Architecture Group

Michael Perscheid michaelperscheid at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:52:19 UTC 2013

Hi Edward,

On 17.04.2013, at 07:10, mokurai at earthtreasury.org wrote:

> On Tue, April 16, 2013 11:22 am, Michael Perscheid wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we'd like to announce that we published four new games for the OLPC/XO
>> laptop (also available
>> for Standard Squeak, MIT license). They have been developed by students in
>> the last semesters
>> of our software architecture lecture (Hasso-Plattner-Institute, University
>> of Potsdam).
>>
>> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/projects/olpc/index.html
>> (or: http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/index.html)
>
> Thank you. I downloaded all of the games on that page, and look forward to
> trying them out and dissecting them to see how they work.
>
> What materials do you use to teach Etoys and Squeak to your software
> architecture class? I see by opening a System Browser on BroBreakout that
> much of your game development is in Squeak.
All the games are implemented in Squeak/Smalltalk. We neither teach Etoys
nor apply it for our student projects. The course is about writing "good"
software. The students should realize small games within 3 months and
present their design decisions, architecture etc. This is the practical part for
teaching idioms, design patterns, and object-orientation. As Etoys is built for
children we cannot apply it for these purposes.

> I an others are currently working on an Etoys Reference Manual in two
> volumes,
>
> http://booki.flossmanuals.net/etoys-reference-manual/_edit/
> http://booki.flossmanuals.net/etoys-reference-manual-vol-ii/_edit/
>
> including the Etoys interface to the Squeak IDE, and would be interested
> in any comments you or your students could make. Or any of them could join
> in, if they like.
I will have a look at it. We have another workshop course for pupils where we
teach Etoys. More documentation would help us and the pupils a lot.

> I am planning a book, Etoys by Example, that would start by showing how
> learners can modify the tutorial and sample projects provided in the Etoys
> image, and how to learn Etoys and Squeak by dissecting such examples. With
> these tools, they can determine for themselves how they can use Etoys
> effectively, and then progress to as much mastery of Squeak as they
> choose. Would you or your students be willing for me to include some of
> your software as more advanced examples, and to describe any of their
> design process?
Yes, you can do it. But remember that these projects are written in Smalltalk
and mostly independent of Etoys. If you are interested in more details about
these projects please contact me (michael.perscheid at hpi.uni-potsdam.de)
or the students directly (firstname.lastname at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de).

> I see that the page says that these games are under the MIT license, but
> BroBreakout says that it is under a Creative Commons
> Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. I have not yet looked at
> the others. Can we get this resolved?
Thanks for this information. We will fix it. Nevertheless, both licenses should
work for OLPC and your project.

>> In particular, we thank the following students for their course work and
>> Matthias Springer for
>> porting the projects to the XO.
>>
>> BroBreakout
>> 	Fabio Niephaus, Daniel Werner, Philipp Otto, Frank Blechschmidt
>> PetConnect
>> 	Jaqueline Pollak, Daniel Neuschaefer-Rube, Jakob Reschke, Judith Hartmann
>> BDBoulderDash
>> 	Johannes Koch, Tim Friedrich, Johannes Villmow, Felix Wolff
>> SpaceCleanup
>> 	Kai Fabian, Dominik Moritz, Malte Swart, Matthias Springer
>>
>> More games are coming soon...
>
> Vielen Dank.
You're welcome.

Best,