[squeak-dev] Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 6 00:58:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:11:39PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists) <juanlists at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been accepted and published at http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
>
> ? amusingly it cites a reference to a paper by an old colleague of mine, Satish Gupta - I had an experimental hardware graphics board built by Satish back in 1984 stuck in my (first in Europe!) PC-AT when I was an IBMer. 640x480 16bpp (I think) hardware anti-aliased graphics back in the days of Hercules monochrome boards.

Wow, Hercules graphics on a PC-AT. The first open source thing I ever
wrote was a graphics library for devices like that. It was for PC-AT unix,
which at the time had no graphics capability whatsoever. I think that I
had some sort of fancy third party graphics card that emulated Hercules,
CGA, and EGA graphics, and I also had an Epson dot matrix printer, which
accounts for the hardcopy device support.

Amazingly the code is still enshrined for the ages in comp.source.unix at
http://cd.textfiles.com/sourcecode/usenet/compsrcs/unix/volume18/gl_plot/