[squeak-dev] Is the FileList broken in trunk?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 14 02:41:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 09:04:18PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 05:05:27PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > On 13-12-2013, at 4:50 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I cannot open a file list (world -> open... -> file list) in a fully updated trunk image.
> > >
> > > Is it just me?
> >
> > Possibly; my latest was -297 which worked ok and I just updated to 321 and opening the filelist works ok. OS X 10.9, iMac, Cog vm. Only thing I noticed was a merge dialog popping up relating to some ST80 packages stuff.
> >

> I'm stumped. My freshly working image is broken (cannot open a file list), so
> I went back to an older version of that image in which the file list still
> worked, and updated it. No joy, see attached.
>
> <rant>
> This is not making me happy. For a long time I have been able to comfortably
> work with a working image updated from trunk, and I have never had problems.
> That seems to be not the case right now. I might expect this kind of thing in
> other forks, but we should be able to do better in Squeak. Really.
> </rant>
>
> Dave

As long as I'm going to indulge in a rant, I should probably put it in context:

- All that I wanted to do was address the rather trivial problem of
Transcripter not working in Morphic if MVC has been unloaded.

- In order to test this, I need to be able to unload MVC.

- MVC unloading is apparently broken, so I want to file in the old method
that does work. But the file list is broken so I cannot do that.

- Meanwhile, Transcripter (which has nothing whatsoever to do with MVC) has
been moved into the ST80 package, which means that as soon as I do figure
out how to get MVC unloaded, the Transcripter will be gone and there will
be nothing left to test.

- Meanwhile, Juan Vuletich (my current role model for quality and clarity of
design) has somehow figured out how to make the Transcripter work in Morphic
in his excellent Cuis image. So now we know that it can be done.

- I figure that all we need to do is adopt Juan's implementation, possibly
vectored through Project or UIManager if there are MVC/Morphic differences,
and we are good to go.

But right now I cannot even open a file list. Hence my rant.

Dave