[squeak-dev] Is the FileList broken in trunk?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 20:53:38 UTC 2013

Hi Frank!  I actually put this message out to lure you into this
discussion.  :)  Because, I want to move on 4.5 and I knew you had
_something_ out there, but couldn't remember all the details.

The issues I faced with needing to get a new image were:

- I had to research the mailing list to find out where to download it.  An
automated build server is great for doing continuous *testing* and
reporting, but it seems like for end-user downloads we should have a copy
available at the usual place (ftp.squeak.org).
- When I downloaded the image from CI, updated, and ran the tests, I found
there were more tests failing than in another image that was simply updated
from 4.4.  Something seemed to be wrong with the image state.
- Since I was not really certain what all was done in that image, I could
not trust putting it on the squeak.org FTP site.  The only way I could be
SURE enough about the state of an image put there was to take the archive
release image (4.4) and simply update it myself and save it.

So, the overarching requirements:

  - Downloadable from squeak.org domains.
  - A way to know exactly how it was built:  This means knowing which prior
_full release image_ was started with, and what changes (both code and
objects) were made.
  - Reproducible build.  My idea since 4.2 was to have a utility method on
ReleaseBuilder do all of this so it would be visible straight in the trunk
repository.  I guess I always thought of the CI's responsibility as a
on-going "test-status reporting" mechanism more than a deployment tool.

 - Chris