[squeak-dev] VM download location confusion

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 16 01:02:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 05:19:33PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> We have a fairly confusing story for downloading VMs at the moment, at least so far as I can see. I'm particularly referring to Mac VMs here, since I don't have any idea what the situation with Windows VMs might be.
>
> squeakvm.org/mac  points to a cog vm that seems to date itself to 2010, or to an autobuilder for the pharo group at inria (which won't respond to me anyway). Eliot's blog site has a quite separate download folder. There's the jenkins autobuilder at build.squeak.org as well, of course.
>
> We should probably have a better story than that.

John McIntosh turned over responsibility for the Mac VM to a new maintainer:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-November/155100.html

However, there have been no updates to the traditional Mac VM since 2010, and
the Mac VM is effectively unmaintained at this time.

Eliot Miranda continues to support Mac with his Cog VMs, and Ian Piumarta
provides a Unix VM that runs on OS X (X window required, see squeakvm.org/unix).

With the loss of Andreas Raab we also no longer have an official Windows VM
maintainer. As with Mac, Eliot provides Cog support for Windows, and Ian has
built a recent interpreter VM for Windows on squeakvm.org.

Branches of the interpreter and Cog VMs are separately maintained by the Pharo
group. These have diverged from trunk and I cannot say if they are compatible
with standard Squeak interpreter and Cog VMs.

The Jenkins autobuilder at build.squeak.org is not a source of supported VMs.
It serves only to verify the the integrity of the VMMaker source generation
process. For supported standard VMs, http://squeakvm.org is the definitive
site, with pointers to http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ for Cog.

Dave