[squeak-dev] Squeaksource.com (was: Andreas projects on SS)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:48:45 UTC 2014

Why was new-project creation disabled on SS in the 1st place?  Answer:
 As an act of preservation.

SS was not stable due to WideString and Socket bugs.  The former has
been fixed how about the latter?

BUT, the version of SS software currently supporting squeaksource.com
is STILL not scalable, (and a good reason why new-project creation
should remain disabled).  So who is committing to fixing SS when it
reaches its scale limits due to new versions of existing projects?
This is why I think SS should be made  a read-only "archive".  A
historical database of code with _longevity_ that people can
cherry-pick things to move to newer, more robust repositories.

The Magma-backed version of SS running on box4.squeak.org IS scalable
(as, I assume, the SS3 codebase?  Except I'm not sure since I thought
GemStone is the only thing that would make it scalable and we would
not have that in Squeak).  The Magma version provides two extra
features developers in this community asked for (method history across
all MC versions).

Dave said, "I could put it on SS3, but that would mean that some of my
plugins are on SS3 and others on SS.com."  And Goran is worried that
someone concerned with will find something "stale" on SS.  We keep
wringing our hands over this same old problem.  So much easier to just
use a simple catalog.  We even proposing to break into others'
accounts to "solve" cataloging issues rather than just use our
catalog..