[squeak-dev] Is anyone else running a 64-bit image on a regular basis?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 16 12:27:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 01:02:55PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 16 July 2014 12:48, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not, and I really should, in CI. What would I need to do to set up
> >> such a thing?
> >>

> > I was just mostly curious if anyone else is just using a 64 bit image on a day
> > to day basis.
> >
> > As far as CI jobs on build.squeak.org, we would need to install the squeakvm64
> > VM on box3. I put the deb in the expected place but it is not installed.
> >
> >   /root/localdebs/squeakvm64_20131020-1_i386.deb
> >
> > Note that this deb is *only* for use on box3. If you want to run the 64-bit
> > image yourself, please use the official distribution on squeakvm.org/unix.
>
> I'd probably build the 64-bit image from source: it makes things
> easier for the other build agents, which (a) aren't on box3 and (b)
> aren't always Linux. He says, knowing that all non-Linux build agents
> are currently off-line...
>
> The CI build scripts behind SqueakTrunk, ExternalPackages and so on
> already build 32-bit interpreter VMs from source, so extending the
> process to 64 should be easy.

There's nothing really to build, just use a SystemTracer to convert
whichever image you want to start with into 68002 64-bit format. You
can use the existing CI job for reference, but that's really all there
is to it. This is similar to what you're doing when you convert an
image to the new Spur format (image format 6521 for 32-bit Spur, and
image format 68019 for 64-bit Spur).

> > The trunk image is regularly being traced to 64 bits in the CI job at
> > http://build.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/ so the output of that
> > job should be usable.
>
> Ah, handy. So I could build a 64 bit Interpreter from source, and just
> pull in the output of the above job as the image to use?

Yes, just pass the --image64 parameter to the unix/cmake/configure script,
and you will have VM for 64-bit images. If you install it along with the
normal squeakvm VM, the /usr/local/bin/squeak script figures out the
right VM executable to use based on image format.

Dave