[squeak-dev] bad UI bug introduced with recent list highlightiong changes.

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Apr 2 23:29:56 UTC 2015

On 03.04.2015, at 00:58, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 02-04-2015, at 3:56 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> On 03.04.2015, at 00:43, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>   since the hover highlight changes, where the list element under the mouse that would be selected if one clicks is highlighted in light blue appears to have caused a bad bug.  If one does a right-button clock to bring up a menu the system can end up selecting the item under the mouse before putting up the menu.  This is *wrong*.  The mouse click to bring up a menu should /not/ change the selection.
>>
>> The rightclick must change the selection, at
>> least _temporarily_ to highlight for what item the menu is constructed.
>
> err, run that one by me again? That sounds awfully, terribly, wrong.

So when you rightclick on something you need some feedback on what you rightclick
to assure you you clicked on the right thing, right?

In osx this is done by a kind-of secondary selection (a border instead of a
full color highlight) that leaves the primary selection untouched.

Since this is afaik only available in one of our widgets that support
selection AND context menus, I think changing the selection is fine.

Best
	-Tobias