[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.6 -- 2nd release candidate

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jul 6 23:31:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 05:57:01PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Squeak4.6-15093 is now available at http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/.  It
> addresses the issues we found with RC1.
>
> The sources file was rebuilt again, which means the prior
> SqueakV46.sources file should not be trusted.  For that reason, I
> actually decided to remove the RC1 files.
>
> Eliot said he wants to build the Cog VM one more time.  Then I'll try
> to assemble the All-In-One.

Thanks Chris!

The RC2 image has the same "crash the interpreter" issue as RC1. Based
on your earlier note, I tried this today:

- Start with Squeak4.5-13680.image from ftp.squeak.org

- Using Cog, updated the image to latest current trunk, producing "Squeak4.5 of 6 July 2015 update 15093"

- Save image and restart under interpreter VM.

- Open SqueakMap, update it, and load TwosComplement
    ==> no problem

- Quit image, no save.

- Restart image on interpreter VM

- Evaluate ReleaseBuilder prepareNewRelease (enter password)

  Notes:
  Warning: Tools-topa.520 not found in trunk.
  Warning: Kernel-topa.845 not found in trunk.
  Warning: Display extent not set to 800 at 600
  Error: Missing snapshot: Sound-nice.38
    ==> fail, errors related to sound package

- Try again under Cog, same errors. Maybe needs to run on Mac?

So at this point I can confirm that a trunk image fully updated
from Squeak 4.5 works fine, with the update done on a Cog VM. However
I am not able to run the prepareNewRelease to see its effect.

The errors I am getting in #prepareNewRelease seem to be related to
the sound package, so maybe it is some problem with my local system.

Any advice? I am assuming that you are doing the build on your own
system, so maybe you could give me a copy of the image that you produce
immediately prior to running #prepareNewRelease? That should be equivalent
to the image that I just updated (which works without problems), so
that might give us an indication of whether the problem is introduced
in #prepareNewRelease or somewhere else.

Thanks (and thanks for your patience in working through these issues),

Dave