[squeak-dev] Re: StrikeFonstSet vs StrikeFont

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Thu May 19 12:44:56 UTC 2016

Patrick R. wrote
> Hi everyone :)
>
> I am currently fixing some tests in the Multilingual package. While doing
> this I edited the StrikeFontSet class and was wondering about its purpose.
> Although it is called a FontSet it is actually a subclass of AbstractFont
> and all instances available in a recent image do only contain one single
> font. Even further some methods of the class are implemented along the
> line of:
>
> self fontArray first ...
>
> Unfortunately the class does not include a class comment yet and I would
> like to fix this. That is why I wanted to ask whether anyone still knows
> the rationale behind this seeming contradiction.
>
> Thanks! and Bests
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

looking at FontSet, I don't think it does something useful. Maybe it was a
helper class in the past. See FontSet class >> #installAsTextStyle.

The idea of StrikeFontSet to behave like a single font but being a set of
(similar?) fonts is interesting. However, I think that there should be no
need for that because we have the TextStyle abstraction to group multiple
fonts to be used during layouting and rendering.

If the idea of StrikeFontSet (or any font set) actually is to describe a set
of similar fonts that belong to the same *font family*, such a grouping will
be interesting in an object-oriented sense. Better than text styles, which
group arbitrary fonts.

Best,
Marcel