[squeak-dev] More pluggable dialog fun (was Re: FileChooser/SaverDialog)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Nov 4 23:44:04 UTC 2017

> On 03-11-2017, at 8:13 PM, Bob Arning <arning315 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Attached is something a bit closer to the target.

A bit closer, yeah, but it’s just plain wrong that we need to add a panel inside a morph that is supposed to be a sorta-panel. I mean, yes, make it work and all but a tool intended to be a major part of the system ought to make this stuff simple and intelligible.

> It's not clear to me if the ToolBuilder is intended to do what you want here. I supports a subset of Morphic and sometimes even ignores its own specs, so it will solve some problems rather easily and others, perhaps, not at all. Remind me why you are interested in using the ToolBuilder.

Because it’s supposed to be the tool builder for common tools, I guess. Sure we could go with the make-a-morph widget and let UiManager split between morph and mvc and whatever but it seems counter to the aim I think ToolBuilder was supposed to have - making the common tools in a way that allowed them to be built for any  plausible framework. Flexible modal dialogues seem like something we ought to handle nicely. If it takes extending the toolbuilder then I guess I’d say we should do just that.

In the beginning this is all about wanting to make the snapshot saveas nicer. We need to do that to make more sense in the all-in-one system, where saving to the original place is nonsensical. There’s quite a lot of places where a dialogue with the options of lists, buttons, inputs etc make sense and it would be nice to do it well.

tim
Resistance is useless!  (If << 1 ohm)