[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Feb 22 21:23:24 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Am 22.02.2018 um 02:36 schrieb tim Rowledge
> What do you use Squeak for?
Neural networks, genetic algorithms, optimizations, simulations.

Privately simulate/optimize stuff in squeak and then use the gained
knowledge or results in the job :-)
Generally wonderful tool to explore ideas.
Projects in projects for documentation/idea sketching.
Sometimes to annoy my fellow colleagues to show how easy things could be
if they weren't forced to use mainstream tools/languages :-) Just
recently by showing off Tony's Maps video.
Analyzing Megabytes  of badly formatted ASCII test protocols (automated
tests) to evaluate production quality.
Analyzing test reports written in baaaad German to find quality problems
in production.
Run an aidaweb webapp developed in 3.8, nowadays on 4.3.
24/7 image processing on a RasPi (detecting cats in the garden :-)
Time keeping and billing hours spent on projects.
Audio analysis and measurements (FFT)

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Engineer, not a programmer, programming is
one tool in my toolbox. And it's a wonderful tool!

> If you don't use Squeak, why not?
At work. Best I get to use is Python, goes steeply down from there.
Luckily I rarely write software on the job.
> If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?
N/A

> What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular' development?
'Shiny' UI. Unusable but shiny. Glad we don't have that.
Not by M$.
Not playing nice with the rest of the world, lack of ecosystem.
Comparison here is Python. This is my only serious complaint.
Mentoring. It has a steep learning curve and I'm sure mentoring would help.
> What things are too hard or annoying to do?
N/A because the things I embark on seem to be well covered. May change
when I retire and get more time to Squeak.
Real time audio stuff, more audio formats (32 bit float wav)
64 bit Float Array (may even work in 64 bit images)
FloatArray protocol too small.
> What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?
Tons if I had more time/energy.

> tim
Thanks  for asking!
Please note that the main problem is that I don't attack the things I
want/dislike.

Cheers,

Herbert