[squeak-dev] SqueakMap updating fails to update files

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Apr 27 04:46:46 UTC 2019

> On 2019-04-26, at 7:01 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm really sorry Tim.  You've stuck with it, it should treat you
> better.  Later this year (est 4th quarter), it will.

That would be nice, though I've never had this sort of problem in past adventures. Well, not that I can remember right now. See, getting older has some.. wait, what was I talking about?

> It sounds like you went through the correct steps -- the only thing
> you didn't mention so I'm not sure is whether you're sure ALL four of
> the lists had a selection.  I'm also not sure if you pressed Command+s
> on all the fields -- but perhaps that doesn't matter anymore since I
> think you may have fixed that before.

Yup, all four lists were set up, I put in password, version name, commit comment and changed a whole single character in the mcz name. I think you may be right about it being me that made the 'save' accept all entries, some faint echo tells me I had at least something to do with it.

> When you hit save, it should come back instantly -- if it timed out it
> means there was a problem integrating your Install script into the
> HTTP message request and theres probably a debugger on the server
> image.  I just looked and only saw the old version of NuScratch
> (10/2018).  I was able to Edit Release on that one to see the script.
> Is all you did was update the .mcz filename, and everything else was
> the same?

It's definitely odd. Is there anything that suggests it might be some weird crap about network setup or routing or whatever? That 301 error thing definitely surprised me but I don't honestly know anything about that part. My expertise pretty much ends at the 418 response code. (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2324#section-2.3.2)

One of the things I think we need to collectively get better at (and I suppose it extends to all software developers!) is handling errors more helpfully. It's hard and tedious in too many cases but worth it eventually. Saving a mcz to SqueakSource for example is *really* annoying when it fails after what seems like a lot of faffing just because you forgot to edit the repository stuff to add the uid/pwd. I bet there's a way to test it immediately and get the user to update before carrying on to success, for example.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Re vera, potas bene = Say, you sure are drinking a lot.