[squeak-dev] autoIndent preference (was: Preference settings for 5.3 release)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 24 05:17:18 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-23, at 7:44 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (can o' worms opened in other thread, these can get detailed, how about one thread per preference?)
>
> TL;DR;
>
> The default setting for autoIndent should not be based on our own personal preference, but who we're targeting the release image for:
>
>       users : default autoIndent should be false
>       developers : default autoIndent should be true

Currently we (very regrettably) do not do a decent job of distinguishing between text editing and code editing. Which I contend are very much not the same thing.

If I'm remembering right (given this is 3+ decades old memory) we used to have code editor as a subclass of text editor and the menus were quite different. Somewhere in the early days of Squeak this got all smooshed into one state. Bad idea.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EFB: Emulate Five-volt Battery mode