[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Mon Dec 30 01:57:17 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 30. Dez. 2019 um 02:01 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com
>:

> It already got side-tracked from the original topic of IDE design, which
> was my fault for bringing up the secondary topic of performance.  It's
> okay, we did cover the primary issue which is usability of the modal popup
> design.  I actually love Subbu's angle of thinking about it, and our system
> could do it.  THAT is what we should do (or something like it, we're up to
> three proposals now).

Drop places in Squeak that represent external locations or services might
be nice, yes. Although still somewhat peculiar because 1) it is not the way
people are used to from other, non-Squeak applications; and 2) why not
interact with the real outside object instead of the proxy... but better
than nothing as long as integration does not reach or work that far. Again
my impression is that this would be Squeak pretending to be the OS/window
manager/viewport to your whole machine, which it actually is not in most
setups.

Note that these drop places or listing morphs may further contribute to
screen clutter and real estate scarceness, which a modal dialog
circumvents. "Where did I bury my home folder in this project??" As far as
I know we currently cannot raise morphs while something is being dragged.
In Windows you can raise an application from the background by hovering the
dragged object over the task bar item of the hidden application, so you can
then drop the object on it.