[squeak-dev] a numerical methods package for Squeak (or other Smalltalks, like VisualWorks)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Sun Apr 26 14:38:17 UTC 2020

Hi all!

The "numerical methods package for Squeak" reference reminds me of this rather recent proposal here:
http://forum.world.st/Proposal-Geometry-Classes-td5093998.html [http://forum.world.st/Proposal-Geometry-Classes-td5093998.html]

Best,
Marcel
Am 24.04.2020 21:13:36 schrieb Robert via Squeak-dev <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>:
I found Didier Besset's book 'Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods' [1] online. I think the Smalltalk code package I am looking for came from this book/author. Perhaps it was called NumericalMethods, but in searching for this package I cannot find any code. Would anyone out here know of this package? I last used it around 2002 in VisualWorks. It had all sorts of distributions and infinite series and other function classes. Pretty awesome.

I am very interested to find it in order to do coronavirus infection distributions, with a Monte Carlo simulation and using a distribution to define the delay between infection time and the onset/appearance of symptoms and finally the delay from that onset to reporting to a hospital. The goal is I want to calculate Rt [2], for NC and VA, the effective reproductive rate in time. As calculated by the founders of Instagram, NC is now below 1 [3].

[1] Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods - https://www.google.com/books/edition/Object_Oriented_Implementation_of_Numeri/QPX7_MP8w5UC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=smalltalk+poisson+distribution+didier+besset&pg=PA748&printsec=frontcover [https://www.google.com/books/edition/Object_Oriented_Implementation_of_Numeri/QPX7_MP8w5UC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=smalltalk+poisson+distribution+didier+besset&pg=PA748&printsec=frontcover]
[2] The Metric We Need to Manage COVID-19 - http://systrom.com/blog/the-metric-we-need-to-manage-covid-19/ [http://systrom.com/blog/the-metric-we-need-to-manage-covid-19/]

[3] Rt Covid-19 - https://rt.live/ [https://rt.live/]
I appreciate any guidance you could give me to find this software. Gotta a link? I would love it!!

-- Kindly, Robert