[squeak-dev] Sound mixing makes nasty noises

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Fri Dec 25 12:55:55 UTC 2020

So another data point.

Linux Mint 20 (so basically Ubuntu) on x86-64.  Happens to be a MacBook Air but I don't think that's important.

My normal install only build vm-sound-OSS.  And with that there is no sound and a complaint in the terminal about /dev/dsp not existing.  Which is true, /dev/dsp does not exist.

But if install libpluse-dev before I build the VM then I also get vm-sound-pluse.

tmp/opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/[squeak.cog.spur/build/squeak](http://squeak.cog.spur/build/squeak) -vm-sound-pulse myimage

Good news - I get sound!

Bad news - Well it seems a bit drunk in that it pauses about every second to two.  It acts like a buffering issue.  It is slightly worse without doing the RT priority limits.conf file.

I'll also poke at this a bit.

cheers

bruce