[squeak-dev] Sound mixing makes nasty noises

Herbert herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Fri Dec 25 14:45:24 UTC 2020

I just downloaded Squeak on my up to date Linux Mint computer (a Core I
3 from 2009) and right at the start (before the message you report) I
get the message copied below.

No sound with vm-sound-alsa but sound with vm-sound-pulse and always the
same message. But it sounds like high latency and not as bad as on the
Pi (with the keyboard). When waggling the keyboard Squeak goes from 5%
to 56% CPU. That seems a lot to me.

Cheers,

Herbert

"Using
/home/herbert/Schreibtisch/Squeak5.3alpha-19256-64bit-201911012148-Linux/bin/squeak...
pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted
This VM uses a separate heartbeat thread to update its internal clock
and handle events.  For best operation, this thread should run at a
higher priority, however the VM was unable to change the priority.  The
effect is that heavily loaded systems may experience some latency
issues.  If this occurs, please create the appropriate configuration
file in /etc/security/limits.d/ as shown below:

cat <<END | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf
*      hard    rtprio  2
*      soft    rtprio  2
END

and report to the squeak mailing list whether this improves behaviour.

You will need to log out and log back in for the limits to take effect.
For more information please see
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/r3732#linux
"