[squeak-dev] find class is broken...

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 21:30:46 UTC 2020

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 1:20 AM Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe you're describing defacto habits ingrained into everyone from
>> years of using Microsoft's original UI design than a qualitative critique
>> of this particular design aspect.  Yes, familiarity can matter (see below),
>> but the concept of *"Point to what you want to interact with,"* is such
>> a natural way of thinking and working for a human user.
>>

> Then explain how "mouse over to focus" can work on a multi touch
> interface?

By reversing the touch vs. tap+touch for accessing the meta-layer.  But
this would not be enough to make touch interfaces useful for authoring
use-cases, while complicating its primary use-case as a consumption kiosk.

> Every time you touch something the focus moves to where you touch.
> Multi touch is the most used interface in the world, and it is click to
> focus.

Not for complex IDE's.  Only simple modal things like checking in to your
flight or adding cherry syrup to your coke.  :)

Nicolas wrote:

> Also consider that focus is decoupled from mouse position so as to enable
focus shift thru keyboard.

Good point.  If the focus shift is done on #mouseEnter, it could still be
shifted away, and then the next time the user "pointed" at something, would
snap focus to whatever they pointed at.  The mouse remains the main tool
for setting focus, and the keyboard a sub input device.  You could
accidentally bump the mouse as long as it didn't knock it into a totally
different widget.

 - Chris