[squeak-dev] Croquet

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Nov 4 00:19:40 UTC 2021

> On 2021-11-03, at 2:45 PM, Craig Latta <craig at blackpagedigital.com> wrote:
>
> > Only faintly related, but has anyone done any experimenting with
> > driving the morphic.js stuff[4] the Jens produced for Snap?
>
>     Yes, I've been using a Caffeine and morphic.js mashup of mine since 2017, as one of several proofs of concept for alternate Squeak UIs on the Web (the others being one Squeak morph per HTML canvas, pure HTML DOM, VueJS, and A-Frame WebXR with one Squeak morph per composited stereo 3D surface; see [5] for details, and [6] for a whirlwind tour of several Caffeine things).

I've seen your stuff in the past and remembering it was actually what lead me to look at morphic.js in the first place. What I'm not sure about is whether it is all SqueakJS or not; what I'm interested in is driving  it from a cog vm. I *think* maybe your blog talks about that but I can't be sure.

To be honest I don't even know if that is really practical; I know that using Seaside with jquery/ajax let's us send javascript to the browser and that's about it. Whether it is possible to simply tell the browser what to do.. no idea. Interested to see ideas, pointers, doc. It's really just a thought about making interesting UIs on the web, more than just regular text fields, lists, buttons, images.

tim
Useful random insult:- If brains were taxed, he'd get a rebate.