[squeak-dev] Default preferences

christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Nov 22 19:07:44 UTC 2021

Hi all!

Yeah, this topic again, but before we release the next version of Squeak, I thought we maybe could slightly round off our list of preferences in order to improve the initial experience for new Squeakers even more!

I have went through the entire list of preferences and identified several regressions and dead preferences (you may have noticed a number of other recent contributions by me regarding this topic), but I also made a list of default preference values with which I personally do not really agree, so I thought we could discuss them here. I'm trying to be brief:

1. Windowing
Personally, the first thing I do in every new image is to enable these prefs:
"mouse over for keyboard focus", "open tools attached to mouse cursor", "windows' contents are always active".
Do I belong to a minority of Squeakers or could we satisfy a majority of Squeakers by turning on these prefs by default?

2. Tools
Very brief suggestions:
- TextDiffBuilder ignoreLineEndings -> true
- Show annotation pane in the debugger -> true
- Extra debugger buttons -> true
- Show stack variables in debugger -> maybe? I like it, does it harm?
- Stack Size in Notifier/Full Debugger -> increase by factor 2 or more, should not be a performance issue nowadays, but increases convenience

3. Morphs
- Wrapped tree navigation -> true (just consistent to lists)
- Use the new color-picker -> true (c'mon, this tool is already >11 years old! :p)

4. Editing
- Auto enclose brackets -> #beforeSpaces (see [1], pending. Inserting a bracket pair () right before a character just feels pretty useless to me.)
- Enclose selection with brackets -> true

Please give feedback or discuss! You could opt en block or leave more detailed feedback to the single proposals. Looking forward to a productive debate! :-)

Best,
Christoph

[1] autoEncloseBeforeSpace.cs: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2021-November/216871.html

---