[squeak-dev] String & Text

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jul 13 06:48:02 UTC 2022

Hi all --

What are your thoughts on String and Text. In GUI programming, it
is rather annoying to have to sprinkle #asText all over the code. It's
nice to have most important protocol shared between String and Text.

The recent change to only String >> #format: (see Collections-cmm.1016)
to support symbols as placeholders indicates kind of a disagreement
in how Text should be used in (GUI) code. Well, if some message is
not there in Text, it is easy to find out. However, having a protocol there
with different details feels rather challenging.

I accept that not all protocols are shared between String and Text.
I do not like inconsistencies of method implementations where the
message (and signature) is identical.

+1 for adding symbolic placeholders to Text >> #format: as well.

Best,
Marcel