[SqueakDBX] ODBC in Windows

Stefan Kapusniak mlist at yclept.clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 13:23:33 UTC 2009

(I've been having some trouble with my email, apologies if this show up multiple
times)

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:51:50 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Anyway, do you have a reason of using ODBC ? SqueakDBX and OpenDBX
> should be used with ODBC when you are using an unsupported
> database, but squeakdbx and opendbx do support mssql. So, why don't
> you use that instead of ODBC? It would be MUCH better. Sorry, I
> really don't like ODBC at all hahaha

Mariano,

Well the OpenDBX website says:

>MS SQL Server

>The mssql backend is primarily intended for Unix environments where a native
>client library is not available for the MS SQL Server and FreeTDS library
>provides the only alternative. On Windows platforms, the native
>client is an ODBC driver so it's better to use the odbc backend.

...so that's what I was doing, and that does appear to be correct in
terms of what Microsoft supplies in terms of native drivers for SQL Server
on Windows, unless you want to use OLE-DB and there's no OLE-DB
backend in OpenDBX. Implementing such is a *slightly* bigger project
than I was anticipating, just a little :)

Also there doesn't appear to be a OpenDBX 1.4.4 binary backend driver
pre-compiled for Windows, and compiling one seems to require also
compiling FreeTDS.  I'm currently not having much joy with that
combination, the best I've been able to do is segfault Pharo :)

-- Stefan