[SqueakDBX] ODBC in Windows

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 00:16:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Stefan Kapusniak <mlist at yclept.clara.co.uk
> wrote:

> (I've been having some trouble with my email, apologies if this show up
> multiple
> times)
>
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:51:50 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Anyway, do you have a reason of using ODBC ? SqueakDBX and OpenDBX
> > should be used with ODBC when you are using an unsupported
> > database, but squeakdbx and opendbx do support mssql. So, why don't
> > you use that instead of ODBC? It would be MUCH better. Sorry, I
> > really don't like ODBC at all hahaha
>
> Mariano,
>
> Well the OpenDBX website says:
>
> >MS SQL Server
>
> >The mssql backend is primarily intended for Unix environments where a
> native
> >client library is not available for the MS SQL Server and FreeTDS library
> >provides the only alternative. On Windows platforms, the native
> >client is an ODBC driver so it's better to use the odbc backend.

Where did you read that? can you send me the email? if this is wrong I can
ask Norbert or even edit the OpenDBX webpage.

> ...so that's what I was doing, and that does appear to be correct in
> terms of what Microsoft supplies in terms of native drivers for SQL Server
> on Windows, unless you want to use OLE-DB and there's no OLE-DB
> backend in OpenDBX. Implementing such is a *slightly* bigger project
> than I was anticipating, just a little :)
>
> Also there doesn't appear to be a OpenDBX 1.4.4 binary backend driver
> pre-compiled for Windows, and compiling one seems to require also
> compiling FreeTDS.  I'm currently not having much joy with that

yes it is. Look
http://linuxnetworks.de/opendbx/download/opendbx-1.4.4_win32.zip

ooohhh you are right. There is no one for MSSQL. I am sure I do it. I will
check and add it. Anyway, can you send me your dll just in case ?