[SqueakDBX] Character encoding and pooling in SqueakDBX and Glorp

Panu Suominen panu.j.m.suominen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:04:20 UTC 2010

2010/8/27 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>:
> The only thing I would like is that with "no encoding" I do what we were
> doing until this change.
Ok. That will not be a problem.

> but weren't we going to put it in connectionSettings?
> Uhh sorry, you lost me in this last paragraph. Maybe if I see the code I
> understand better

Yep. My explanation was not very clear. I write the code. Then it is
easier to comment.

> BTW...just by curious. where/why are you trying to use SqueakDBX?

I am working at the University of Jyväskylä (www.jyu.fi) in Finland
and we have large legacy system that handles course registrations and
such (korppi.jyu.fi). It is written in very rudimentary way on top of
Tomcat, basically using plain jsp pages and servlets without any
advanced framework. This approach makes some changes and improvements
very hard to implement and too expensive. This problem is very big in
the user interface level.

To improve our development speed we have investigated better
approaches. Pharo+Seaside seems to be quite promising. Unfortunately
we have to use our legacy database in the future implementation also.
The database is run by postgresql and thus we need libraries to
interact with it. I have tested PostgresV3 and it worked fine. However
we are trying to find ORM approach and currently only working thing I
have found is Glorp and it requires SqueakDBX.

--
Panu