[Squeakfoundation]Re: 3.4 now beta on internal update stream

goran.hultgren@bluefish.se squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:22:55 +0100

(I keep moving these threads out onto the list as we agreed)

Ned Konz <ned@bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Monday 02 December 2002 12:26 am, Scott Wallace wrote:
> > I was uncertain, Ned, whether you were confident enough of your
> > MoreFileFixes-nk
> > dated 30 November 2002 that it should be published right away, so
> > please let me know.  If you wish, this can go out as the first
> > update in the beta stream.  Andreas, does this fileout have your
> > ok?
>
> The existing code is buggy too, as it takes advantage of the response
> to an illegal index passed to a primitive.
>
> The problem with the CS is that (although it's the correct Smalltalk
> code) it exposes a (minor) bug in a couple of the VMs that is caught
> by an existing test in FileDirectoryTests.
>
> I've posted fixes for this under Unix and Mac (untested); the Windows
> VM works OK (I don't know about WinCE).
>
> We do need to fix this code, though, so that it works across
> platforms; Tim was having problems on the Acorn.
>
> The bug is this:
>
> test for file existence in a directory
> delete the directory
> ask for an entry by number in the directory
> you don't get a #badDirectory error since there is some cached
> information in the VM
>
> I could modify the test to first check another directory, thereby
> hiding the bug until we get VMs fixed.
>
> Suggestions?

Are there any "good" reasons to hide it?
Otherwise technically - I trust your and Tim's judgement. :-)

regards, Göran