[Squeakfoundation]base image distribution

PhiHo Hoang squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:03:50 -0500

Hi Rob,

    Thanks for the kind words.

> >     MobVM uses the services provided by the OS (Windows) to download
> >     everything except SqM.exe, SqMOM.dll and SqM.ini.
>
> This can't be that hard to do cross-platform, can it?  I see that the
files
> are around 10kb, too.

    By cross platform I mean, you just use the same source file and build it
    on all platforms (like BitBltPlugin, no platform specific files
involved).

    It's almost 2003 now, I believe that the service to get a file via http
is
    just as high tech as 'strcpy'. If it's not available as a service
directly from
    the OS, it should be available somehow, at least from a lib.

> so, what do these plugins do?
> Pop
> Mom

    These two provides the facility to load shared library, read
initialisation
    file (ini file under Windows) and download files via http.

    Pop and Mom go together and always resident :-)

> Plugman

    This plugin manages the plugins.
    It is itself managed by Mom
    and Mom is managed by Pop.
    (and Pop is managed by the kids ;-)

> Modman

    This plugin manages the modules 'up there'
    (to be loaded into ObjectMemory).

    Currently, there are 2 modules for it to manage:

    VI4 image and VI3 image. Yes, each image is a module
    (who says Squeak doesn't have module ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.