[Squeakfoundation] On with the show

Dan Ingalls squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:29:37 -0800

Last May I wrote...

>	Declare that SqF exists,
>
>	Appoint a number of "acting" officers
>
>	Declare a couple of active projects
>		one of which is to converge on a more formal
>		def of the organization
>
>As token "Old Fart"  I'm willing to be put in any role.  I'll even appoint myself and everybody else if no one wants to do this.  And I'll make up a project list (you can guess from prior messages).

Dave Thomas has generously offered to help us through the formation of an organization, and a mechanism for receiving and distributing funds.  This will be a tremendous help.

To get things going, and to enable Dave to do his part, we need at least to convene an interim organization.  In order to speed things along, I propose the following structure for the organization:

	Board of Directors:

	Executive Director:

	Treasurer:

	Legal Counsel:

	Committee Chairmen:

		Evolution of Squeak

		Public Relations and Web Presence

		Updates and Releases

		Projects

True to my message of May, I hereby appoint myself as interim Executive Director and chairman of the Committee on Evolution of Squeak, acting until, say, June 1.

In the next couple of days all those who are interested should send to this list, or privately to me,

	criticisms and improvements to this structure and process.

	recommendations for people to fill roles (including yourself).

[Dave, especially:  You have seen what works and doesn't for such organizations.  Please feel free to rewrite anything here]

Meanwhile I will draft a couple of the committee charters for consideration, and pull together some of the recent and not-so-recent project proposals.  I'll also dig up my draft of cooperative charters for SqF and SqC.

Let's try to complete this interim spec by this Friday.

Thanks, all

	- Dan

[If you know anyone who is interested but out of communication for a few days, perhaps you could alert them to this process, or at least tell me that we may be missing them during this period]