[Squeakfoundation]Brainstormin'

Cees de Groot squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
21 Jan 2002 21:29:27 +0100

Maarten Maartensz <maartens@xs4all.nl> said:
>Reason for my questions: There is little point trying to set up a
>Foundation if the Central - where most coding and coordinating still
>happens - has other plans or targets than the planned Foundation.

No worries here. Dan will outline the details tomorrow, but maybe it says
enough that he's the designated Executive Director of SqF and a core member of
SqC.

>For them, as for me, a really good and versatile
>programming environment like Squeak could be (but is not yet) would be a
>truly excellent tool to think with and publish with (rather than write a
>commercially selling application with, which doesn't  interest me at all).
>

>The best effort in this direction, and probably the best hope, is what
>Tansel Ersavas is doing with Squeak News.

I do think that there's more to come - there are books on Squeak (outdated
against the current version, probably, but that hasn't killed the Java
bookmarket either ;-)), and I'm quite sure that with a slowly increasing
crowd, the number of titles will rise at well. Anyway, compared to other
language I saw happening from early on, Squeak has a remarkably large
portfolio of printed material. It's maybe just an on-line manual (like what
you get with VisualWorks) that's missing.

I must say, Squeak News is great fun - but I don't think it counts as
documentation...

>Speaking for myself, after 6 months of dedicated reading of the Squeak
>maillist, I still know hardly anything of the academic qualifications,
>outlook, concerns, or ages of hardly anyone on the list. Well: That may be
>a quite sufficient basis for mailing about programming and developing a
>programming language, but is not a sufficient  basis for getting something
>done in real life in real society.

Don't forget that a lot of the "Squeak incrowd" (myself expressly *not*
included in that group at the moment) knows each other quite well in real
life. A lot of them visit OOPSLA, Camp Smalltalk, etcetera and have had a
chance to meet in person on more than one occasion. So it's not exactly that
there are a bunch of strangers here are trying to set something up (in fact, I
wouldn't be surprised at all if I'd be the only guy on the list of names Dan
put up for the Squeak Foundation that hasn't met anyone else).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>