[Squeakfoundation]New mailing list request for Bellesqueak

Cees de Groot squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
28 Jan 2002 08:29:46 +0100

Maarten Maartensz <maartens@xs4all.nl> said:
>(1) I've still not seen Dan Ingalls' clarification (promised by last
>Tuesday), so Squeak Foundation seems on the moment mostly academic, and so
>also
You're right about that. Dan?

>(4) and in general "the more the better", the license permitting, since also
>(5) by and large it is easier to prune than to grow.

I'm not sure about (5), that's why I am asking the list. Pruning this project
in, say, three years when it is succesful and has attracted quite a bit of
people to it would be hard; furthermore, it'd certainly mean moving the site
elsewhere so you would either need to maintain pages with links or break a lot
of links (and I don't like either). So I rather have a bit of friction about
'accepting' projects that are (or seem - maybe I'm just daft) only vaguely
Squeak related than having to weed the project garden later on. And as Paul
was referring to a mail from around half a year ago, I am quite sure he has
the time for a couple of days of discussion.

Plus, it will help clarify what's SqF and what's not. Plus, I already offered
to host it outside the SqF, so the little discussion doesn't exactly endanger
the project - if we decide that SqF is not the place, Paul and I will find a
solution.

>Perhaps (having read Paul Fernhout's two previous mails) there is some
>clever and fair lawyer around who could let his or her legal light shine on
>the question, since it seems mostly an implicit legal issue under US law?

AFAIC, it's not. First, you decide whether you want a project under the
SqueakFoundation umbrella; only then, you can talk with the project leads
about the license and ask a lawyer about licensing compatibility issues, if
this is deemed necessary.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>