[Squeakfoundation]Brainstormin'

squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:50:38 +0100

Dan Ingalls <Dan@SqueakLand.org> wrote:
[MEGA SNIP]
> It's my hope that having a module system into the release will help greatly to reduce the conflicts currently inherent in satisfying different parts of our shared agenda.  That's why I want to cut this short ;-)

Yes, yes, yes! :-) When, how, where? We need a decision on this. Don't
make me repeat what you said at OOPSLA... ;-)

And all the decisions about the "image" that I snipped would become much
easier to deal with when we have modules.
Then I think SqF could have some kind of "voting process" or something
in order to decide which modules should be marked as "base" modules.

A proposal would be that a base module, in order to even be considerable
as a base module, SHOULD minimally:

1. Be licensed under SqueakL (and possibly other licenses in parallell)
2. Have ONE person responsible as "custodian/maintainer/integrator" (as
in Debian, personal responsibility is good). Associated helpers are of
course welcome too.
3. Be able to coexist with all other base modules. You should be able to
load a "full" base image with all the base modules.
4. Be available as official master from a central repository at SqF.
5. Follow the same versioning scheme that all other base modules follow.
Whatever scheme that will be! Different schemes have been discussed in
depth and Henrik has more details on different approaches. :-)

...anything else?

regards, Göran