[Squeakfoundation]Brainstormin'

Maarten Maartensz squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:54:24 +0100

Hello,

At 13:50 29-1-02 +0100, you wrote:

>Dan Ingalls <Dan@SqueakLand.org> wrote:
>[MEGA SNIP]
>> It's my hope that having a module system into the release will help
greatly to reduce the conflicts currently inherent in satisfying different
parts of our shared agenda.  That's why I want to cut this short ;-)

>Yes, yes, yes! :-) When, how, where? We need a decision on this. Don't
>make me repeat what you said at OOPSLA... ;-)
>
>And all the decisions about the "image" that I snipped would become much
>easier to deal with when we have modules.
>Then I think SqF could have some kind of "voting process" or something
>in order to decide which modules should be marked as "base" modules.
>
>A proposal would be that a base module, in order to even be considerable
>as a base module, SHOULD minimally:
>
>1. Be licensed under SqueakL (and possibly other licenses in parallell)
>2. Have ONE person responsible as "custodian/maintainer/integrator" (as
>in Debian, personal responsibility is good). Associated helpers are of
>course welcome too.
>3. Be able to coexist with all other base modules. You should be able to
>load a "full" base image with all the base modules.
>4. Be available as official master from a central repository at SqF.
>5. Follow the same versioning scheme that all other base modules follow.
>Whatever scheme that will be! Different schemes have been discussed in
>depth and Henrik has more details on different approaches. :-)
>
>...anything else?
>
>regards, G=F6ran

Insofar as I understand all this (nil as regards US law - and by the way:
Idealism without realism won't work in the long run. As the Dutch saying
has it: "All too good is one's neighbour's fool"), I completely agree. In
brief: It seems - if Dan can do it, what with having to be all things to
all persons at the moment - is rapid inclusion of a minimally working
modules set-up in Squeak - or so it would seem to me.

Regards,

Maarten.

 =20

Maarten Maartensz. Homepage: