[Squeakfoundation]RE: Squeakfoundation digest, Vol 1 #93 - 8 msgs

Cees de Groot squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
30 Jan 2002 17:23:47 +0100

Mark Mullin <mark@vibrant3d.com> said:
>I'd be curious if anyone has already clarified it's application to the
>reverse situation, i.e. our VR engine is fundamentally a (great big fat
>badtempered) plugin library for Squeak.
That centers around "If the Modified Software contains modifications,
overwrites, replacements, deletions, additions, or ports to new platforms of:
(1) [class lib], or (2) any part of the virtual machine, then [you have to
share the source].

I would not call a plugin library an addition to the virtual machine - the VM
is for me the SLANG stuff plus the platform glue, and I think that that's what
is meant in the license.

I *think* that Apple did not mean to call a plugin library an addition
to the virtual machine. However, a bad-tempered lawyer at Apple *could*
construe your plugin library to be an addition to the virtual machine. Given
the track record of big companies' legal teams smelling profit, blood, or just
fun, I'd get a statement from Apple "we don't consider the vibrant 3D plugin
as a blahblahblah"...

(even though I always had A's in business school for Law: I.A.N.A.L.)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>