[Squeakfoundation]Image Builder

Roger Vossler squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 11 May 2002 13:27:38 -0600

Hi,

I downloaded SWTBase0_5.image and SWTDev0_5.image along with the
associated
changes and source files from the SqF web site. I'm running this with
the Squeak3.2.7Beta3
VM on a G4 PowerBook and OSX 10.1.3. Once I figured out how to use the
little bootstrap
program, I was able to use the Script Manager and the Refactoring
Browser. Very nice.

SqF has something called VMMaker for building VMs. After digging around
in the
SqueakBase folder that came with the distribution, it dawned on me that
having a little
program called ImageBuilder that could assemble a specific image,
oriented toward
a specific application, problem domain, etc., from all of the stuff in
SqueakBase would
be very nice to have, thus avoiding all of the problems associated with
namespaces,
modularity, frameworks, and the like. Is this idea too simple? Have I
missed something?

Cheers, Roger.....