[Squeakfoundation]Re: SM not in 3.2.1?

squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:14:22 +0100

Hi Scott and all!

(I moved this over to the squeakfoundation list since we want the
Guide-discussions to be held there in the open)

Then I noticed that: Craig Harris <harris@summereyes.com> was in the CC
but perhaps that should have been Craig Latta? :-)

Scott Wallace <scott.wallace@squeakland.org> wrote:
> Hi, Goran,
>
> Hopefully, the entire community will very soon have reunited behind a
> very stable 3.4, and 3.2-based issues will not seem so important as
> we press ahead along this exciting new trajectory.

True.

> But -- assuming we are intent on having a direct UI to SqueakMap in
> 3.2.1, yes, there need to be hooks there.  However, it won't be
> exactly the same code as in 3.4a (owing to differences, e.g., in
> file-list.)

Ok.

> My assumption has been that anyone who wishes to remain in the 3.2
> series and wishes to use SqueakMap should be asked to upgrade to
> 3.2.1.  If SM doesn't need to be backward-compatible to plain 3.2,

Right, that would make it possible for me to remove all those "base
fixes" that I tried to remove and got spanked for when someone on plain
3.2 got bitten. I agree - 3.2.1 it is.

> and if 3.2.1 has what it takes (which hopefully it does,) everything
> works for everybody, and you should be able to have a single version
> of the SM code.  I'm sorry I had not made that explicit.

Well, I didn't think it through properly. But I agree with you - 3.2.1
it is. And then the "SqueakMap" package will be essentially clean.

> So anyway, yes, we are still waiting for the update to 3.2.1 that
> "throws the switch" and makes SqueakMap frontally visible there.
> I'll leave it to the Guides to procure that code and decide when to
> publish it.  (Or I'd be glad to do it if you prefer.)  Probably
> you'll want first to have set SM up so that it is 3.2.1-savvy, so
> that the out-of-box SM experience for the 3.2.1 user is a compelling
> one.

:-) Yes, we need to fix the Package Loader to "treat" 3.2.1 as 3.2 when
filtering for versions. Or something to the same effect. Perhaps just
use "beginsWith:" instead of "="? :-) And some other things.

> Cheers,
>
>    -- Scott
>

> PS:  If we had put SM into the 3.2.1 and 3.4 *images*, via the update
> stream, as I have been urging, and as I *still* would strongly
> recommend, version problems like the ones you've already encountered
> would not have arisen, incidentally ;-)

I know - but I still want to keep it out. :-) I view it as an exercise
and I want to be able to evolve SqueakMap separately from the update
stream. And it will have to be a package later anyway - when we approach
small kernel images.

regards, Göran