[Squeakfoundation]Order of business ...

Jimmie Houchin squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:11:18 -0600

I've always wanted to see Squeak stuff on LWN like the other languages
have. I would consider volunteering for this and some PR in general.

I don't currently know what other sources of PR are available but would
be willing to research.

I believe as Squeak 3.4 becomes more viable and apps are installable and
uninstallable, then Squeak will become more attractive to more people.

I believe people from other language communities will be interested. One
can't count how many times "Which GUI should I use?" pops up in
c.l.python and I imagine everywhere else but c.l.tcl. Some people
require (or at least so they think) a native GUI. I personally don't
think it is as big a requirement as much as having a nice attractive
GUI. Squeak can win people here, IMHO.

My apologies if I shouldn't have posted here. I don't know if such a
determination has been made. If so let me know and I'll crosspost
further comments into squeak-dev.

Jimmie Houchin

danielv@netvision.net.il wrote:
> Great. I'd suggest to make ourselves visible to Python and Ruby people.
> They might be attracted, since the languages are relatively similar.
>
> I think it would be great to attract the participation of more people
> that are open source veterans into the Squeak and Smalltalk communities
> - our diversity of opinions/skills is our strength.
>
> Also, connections with other open source communities might lead us to
> interesting collaborations.
>
> But I don't actually know these communities.. more data, anyone?
>
> Daniel
>
> Ned Konz <ned@bike-nomad.com> wrote:
[snip]