New update stream (was Re: [Squeakfoundation]Order of business ...)

Doug Way squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:39:17 -0500

(Catching up on a few older emails)

Scott Wallace wrote:

> If the preference and mood of the community are for an immediate and
> unconditional and complete hand-over to the Guides, today, right now,
> of responsibility for 3.4 (and for all Squeak versions for that
> matter,) consider it done.  The keys are in the ignition, guys, go
> ahead and drive it off  ;-)
>
> >  >  * Scott, are you interested in some role (as vaguely ;-) postulated by
> >  > goran, or otherwise) under the guidance (sic) of us Guides?
>
> Yes, I'm willing to serve a bridging role.  If the Guides want to
> send me fileouts for publication as updates, I'll gladly publish
> them; this would afford the full effect of a hand-off while not for
> the moment requiring us to change too many other things all at once.

Based on the discussion so far, I think it's agreed that we'd like you to serve this bridging role through the release of 3.4; that would be great.  The updates that you publish would be a combination of:

1. Updates that you & SqC decide to include, which you can quickly run by the Guides before including

2. Fileouts that we Guides agree should be included (items that we harvest, etc.), and that we send to you

Does that sound right?

> >  >  * If neither of the above, can you explain the current existing tools
> >>  in the image for handling this and the required resources, so we can
> >  > plan a clean transition?
>
> Well, this communication needs to be done in any case.  I will
> explain everything I know, but Dan is the best person to transmit
> most of this information -- they're his tools, and his procedures,
> and he is the person of record on the sites, guardian of the
> passwords, contact person with uiuc, etc.  Ted is the other leading
> expert and insider in these matters.

Sounds good.  I guess we will look for this information as we approach the 3.4 release.

- Doug