[Squeakfoundation]Re: releasing SqueakMap (was "One more update for 3.2.1?"... again...)

John M McIntosh squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:29:08 -0800

Well I should wade in and point out a few things that I've noticed over
the years.

a) Many users will use 3.xFINAL as the preferred deployment package
because they feel 3.x+1Alpha is too experimental for them to risk using
because they are not power-squeak users. In fact I still encounter
people who are using 2.8 or 3.0 because until recently 3.2 was 3.2gama.
Mm tonight I was going to download 3.4alpha to some ones desktop but he
pointed out he didn't run alpha or beta software on his machine because
it was too risky so I had to promise that 3.4ALPHA wasn't going to hose
his machine (a true story).

I'd think one should finalize 3.2 and stuff SM into it mostly because
that's a way for people to distribute content/apps/changesets/? in the
3.2. environment. I say finalize, although it's final mostly because
there's a few patchs etc from 3.3 (I think?) I'm sure one can of course
say this SM is 3.2 or 3.4 or 3.2/3.4 compatible...

Ps zap any thoughts of 3.2.x (tertiary numbers).

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 05:42  PM, Doug Way wrote:

> Craig Latta wrote:
>>
>> Hi Doug--
>>
>>> Also, I suppose if the goal is to move 3.4 toward a release
>>> relatively soon (in the next month or two?) then getting the SM
>>> bootstrap into the 3.2 series becomes less urgent.
>>
>>         Why can't we leave 3.2 alone and make 3.4 the venue of
>> SqueakMap's
>> mainstream debut?
>>
>>         Will someone please summarize the rationale for revisiting a
>> "final"
>> release here, and for getting into tertiary version numbers?

> Now that we're working toward 3.4, and we've decided that it should be
> finalized relatively soon, I suppose there wasn't a great need to
> split off 3.2.  Oh well. :-)  However, there were a lot of
> 3.2-compatible packages already in place on SqueakMap, so it seemed
> like SqueakMap should have some sort of debut in the 3.2 world.  (I
> was thinking in my recent message that since we already split off
> 3.2.1, we might as well add the SqueakMap bootstrap too, but that's
> not super-important.)

===
John M. McIntosh <johnmci@smalltalkconsulting.com> 1-800-477-2659
===