[Squeakfoundation]re: releasing SqueakMap

Craig Latta squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:11:54 -0800

Hi John--

> a) Many users will use 3.xFINAL as the preferred deployment package
> because they feel 3.x+1Alpha is too experimental for them to risk using
> because they are not power-squeak users. In fact I still encounter
> people who are using 2.8 or 3.0 because until recently 3.2 was 3.2gama.
> Mm tonight I was going to download 3.4alpha to some ones desktop but he
> pointed out he didn't run alpha or beta software on his machine because
> it was too risky so I had to promise that 3.4ALPHA wasn't going to hose
> his machine (a true story).

	So release a 3.4final. :)  If we just finish testing SqueakMap, we're
done!

> I'd think one should finalize 3.2 and stuff SM into it mostly because
> that's a way for people to distribute content/apps/changesets/? in the
> 3.2. environment.

	I think that's a bad idea. We have a final 3.2 already; it just happens
to lack a particular feature (SqueakMap). Why not just put that feature
into 3.4, and, after testing it, declare it 3.4final? It doesn't make
any sense to me to tamper with 3.2final, because none of its existing
features are catastrophically broken.

-C

--
Craig Latta