[Squeakfoundation]Harvesting infrastructure (was Re: Order of business ...)

goran.hultgren@bluefish.se squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:43:53 +0100

Hey!

Avi Bryant <avi@beta4.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Doug Way wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried the Repository stuff yet... is it working well enough
> > now that it could be used for this?  If you wanted to put something
> > together on a test server, that might be interesting.
>
> I'm going to put up a test public repository later today - just need to
> write some brief docs first.
>
> > With tweaking, it sounds like either the Repository stuff or SqueakMap
> > might be a usable framework for dealing with harvesting.  The Repository
> > stuff is missing some security stuff which SqueakMap has, but SqueakMap
> > doesn't include actual file storage.  There are probably other
> > trade-offs.  (I haven't really used either one yet enough.)
[SNIP]

Just a few notes. I IRCed with Luciano yesterday and the day before and
I sketched out how the SM codebase can be used to produce a harvesting
tool independent of SM but using the same architecture (with uploads
added of course). He got very excited, sat down and looked through the
SM code, liked it and is itching badly to help out on this!

So Doug, perhaps we could do something like this:
- Perhaps you Doug could list what you think the tool would/should
do/need? On the Swiki typically. I can help also.
- Then we look at what we got in the form of code and combine it into a
nice tool. I could see the SM codebase in conjunction with Monticello
forming a nice toolset. They complement each other nicely.
- And especially, we could use Monticello to develop this tool in the
first place!
- And we hook up with Luciano of course.

Anyway, I am on IRC now and for the next 8 hours - irc.openprojects.net,
channel #squeak. Use the new IRC client - it's great (even though it
seemed to remove the "dynamic open menu"...)!

regards, Göran