[Squeakfoundation]re: releasing SqueakMap

goran.hultgren@bluefish.se squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:43:20 +0100

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv@netvision.net.il> wrote:
> [3.4 is 3.2 + 3.3 critical changes + (SM & fixes)]
> Doug said:
> > This sounds roughly right to me.
> >
> > However, in an earlier message, Daniel mentioned something about also having a few simple applications (Celeste, IRC, PWS, etc.) removed from the image for 3.4 once they are converted to packages on SqueakMap.  Do we still want to do this?  It might be nice to have in 3.4 as a demonstration of how the image is going to be broken down, but I guess it depends on how simple we want the 3.4 release to be, and how soon we want to release it.
>
> - PWS as released by Colin is almost done.
> - IRC is trivial (TheWorldMenu removeSelector: #openIRC, and then just
> remove the categories).
> - Celeste, I have the code, I'm adapting for a non-3.3 environment. If
> I'm ready soon, we can try to include, if not, it can wait.
> - We already seem to have a removal for B3D. We might want to include
> it, without performing the actual removal yet.
>
> Actually, I just wanted them removable, not removed, in 3.4, so 3.5alpha
> can remove them. Anyway, the removals shouldn't cause a delay.

Sounds good. The one that sounds "dangerous" is probably B3D but if we
leave the dangerous step for 3.5alpha it sounds good to me.

Btw, can you type down this plan on the Guides swiki so that we have it
written down somewhere?
Create a page called "Release plan" or something.

> > There seems to be general agreement that we want to release 3.4 relatively soon.  Does this mean in 2 weeks?  5 weeks?  8 weeks?
> Whichever, but let's pick one so we can guesstimate what will go in.

Sounds to me that Santa Claus showing up with the presents is a good
deadline! Note though that in Sweden he shows up at Christmas eve...

> > Scott, since you are helping us with the 3.4 release this time around, feel free to chime in with your thoughts as well.

Right.

> > Also, I was going to solicit people on the squeak-dev list to suggest any important fixes which have been submitted in the last 6 months but not incorporated, so that we could harvest a handful of important items for 3.4.  (If I do this, I will do it tomorrow.)  Or should this wait until 3.5alpha?

We can wait I think. Otherwise we might just introduce instability.

> I think if there are simple, important ones, we should try to get this
> process started.

Ok, but keep the bar raised high so that we don't shoot ourselves in the
foot.

regards, Göran

PS. SM is actually a very small change to the base image. Because it's
just a hook.