[Squeakfoundation]re: releasing SqueakMap

Doug Way squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:48:04 -0500

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 07:09 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Doug said:
>> However, in an earlier message, Daniel mentioned something about also
>> having a few simple applications (Celeste, IRC, PWS, etc.) removed
>> from the image for 3.4 once they are converted to packages on
>> SqueakMap.  Do we still want to do this?  It might be nice to have in
>> 3.4 as a demonstration of how the image is going to be broken down,
>> but I guess it depends on how simple we want the 3.4 release to be,
>> and how soon we want to release it.

> Actually, I just wanted them removable, not removed, in 3.4, so 3.5alpha
> can remove them. Anyway, the removals shouldn't cause a delay.

Ah, I misunderstood earlier.  So we just want the refactorings (to make
these applications easily unloadable) to go in 3.4.  Sounds good.

>> There seems to be general agreement that we want to release 3.4
>> relatively soon.  Does this mean in 2 weeks?  5 weeks?  8 weeks?
> Whichever, but let's pick one so we can guesstimate what will go in.

I think your estimate of "end of 2002" on the swiki page sounds like a
good goal.

>> Scott, since you are helping us with the 3.4 release this time around,
>> feel free to chime in with your thoughts as well.
>>
>> Also, I was going to solicit people on the squeak-dev list to suggest
>> any important fixes which have been submitted in the last 6 months but
>> not incorporated, so that we could harvest a handful of important
>> items for 3.4.  (If I do this, I will do it tomorrow.)  Or should this
>> wait until 3.5alpha?
> I think if there are simple, important ones, we should try to get this
> process started.

Okay, I'll send out a message to squeak-dev shortly.  But I'll put an
emphasis on only important, simple fixes.

- Doug