[Squeakfoundation]A Gentle Introduction to the Squeak Community

Tim Rowledge squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:40:44 -0800

Andreas.Raab@gmx.de is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> > Andreas.Raab@gmx.de wrote:
> > > <quote>
> > > technically, Squeak isn't Open Source
> > > </quote>
> >
> > Yes, Andreas - that is true.
>
> Guys, please. Even if it may be technically correct that Squeak is not OSI
> approved and therefore not Open Source (tm) Software that's no way to phrase
> it. Just imagine what you would think if you read this. If that's the way
> you're going to do marketing then good night. For starters change this into "not
> OSI approved" instead of "not Open Source" and if someone complains then make
> it "open source" (IIRC, then only "Open Source" is tm-ed). In fact, I would
> say "OSI approval pending".

I agree. How about something like:-
Squeak is an open source system, although it is not currently 'Open
Source(tm)' as defined by OSI.

If it ever seems wise to attempt to persuade Apple to release it from
the supposedly problematic clause(s) and they do so, then we can change
the web page.

tim

--
Tim Rowledge, tim@sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
Useful random insult:- An early example of the Peter Principle.