[Squeakfoundation]Re: Sublicensing seems possible

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 03:25:24 CEST 2003

> > I hope these license issues can be resolved -- but please think
> > carefully about the Disney issue when deciding how to proceed.
> When Alan and the others were at Disney they were using
> Squeak under the self-same Squeak-L that the rest of us were/are.

That's not even the point. We *released* new Squeak versions under the very
same Squeak-L (where it is important to note that we did not release all of
the code we wrote at Disney under Squeak-L - there were various projects
which never made it out of Disney). We actually had a pretty clear state and
church separation while being there - Disney projects being Disney projects
(aka: proprietary Disney content, non-open source) and Squeak projects being
Squeak projects. Unless you want to change the license (in which case you'd
have to go to Disney again) there is nothing at all to worry about - Disney
knew about this (besides Squeak itself, anyone remember Panda3D? this went
up all the way to the top, too) and approved of it, thanks to Alan.

> Since they were modifying and extending the system they _had_
> to release those changes under the SqueakL just like the rest
> of us.

Slight correction: Squeak-L is not viral. It does not require you to release
modifications under Squeak-L. All it requires is to make the code "publicly
available". However, we *did* release the code under Squeak-L.

Cheers,
  - Andreas