VMMaker( Re: [Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Fri Jun 20 15:48:16 CEST 2003

>>     Talking about VMMaker, I recall someone suggested that
>>     the plugins code could be generated just once and be used
>>     as either internal or external plugins.
>>
>>     What's the status of the review on this proposal ?

> VMMaker does this for a long time already. It's all in the build flags
which
> effectively tell the build process which plugins to compile internally and
> which ones to compile externally. Have a look at the generated
"plugins.int"
> and "plugins.ext" file.

    Just downloaded 3.4.4 source from SourceForge.
    Looked inside 'plugins.ext' and found 'SqueakFFIPrims',
    and made a decision to have this plugin as internal.

    'SqueakFFIPrims' was moved to 'plugins.int'.

    Now I have Squeak.exe with 'SqueakFFIPrims' builtin.
    This is cool.

    Just for fun, 'FontPlugin', 'Mpeg3Plugin', RePlugin' were moved
    to 'plugins.ext' together with 'SqueakFFIPrims' for another build
    and got undefined references to

        1/- 'FontPlugin_exports',
        2/- 'Mpeg3Plugin_exports'
        3/- 'RePlugin_exports'

    These 3 plugins can no longer be built as external ?
    'SqueakFFIPrims'  could be slided in and out with ease.

    Did I miss something ?

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.