[Squeakfoundation]re: 3.5 release timing
dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Mar 11 06:35:08 CET 2003
On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 08:00 PM, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Monday 10 March 2003 04:34 pm, Doug Way wrote:
>> Hmm, I like the idea of just having the two fixes, and the
>> extra-short release. At this point, I think that removing the
>> Apple fonts should probably wait until the post-3.5 release. (It's
>> only a few weeks away anyway...)
> Are we going to ignore those other changes that were done for the
> Squeakland plugin and were posted here? Presumably they've been
> tested already and are appropriate.
Hrm. Well, my default answer would be: We should not include them in
3.5. We should try to stick to the plan of only including the
high-severity bugfixes (as judged by the community) in this extra-short
On the other hand, it sounds like these have been tested awhile, so
this batch of fixes is a bit different. But still, the croquet image
may have diverged in such a way that a side-effect bug might occur in
the 3.5 image that would not appear in the croquet image. (Okay, maybe
not highly likely.) And this is a largish group of fixes compared to
the two fixes planned for 3.5.
If one of these bugs is something a bunch of people are running across
(as with the project writing bug), we could consider adding the one
fix. (And maybe people are, I haven't been keeping close track...
speak up if so.) But by default I'd say let's stick to the plan and
not add a bunch of fixes.
Note that I'm only being somewhat draconian here because we're only a
few weeks away from the proposed 3.5 release. Fixes like this should
almost certainly go in 3.6alpha. All sorts of fixes should go in at
the beginning of a regular alpha release (which 3.5 is not), assuming
they meet the quality criteria Daniel talked about.... that's when we
should crank up the harvesting pace IMHO.
(Actually, someone should resubmit these as [FIX]es just so we don't
lose track of them.)
- Doug Way
More information about the Squeakfoundation