[Squeakfoundation]Debian-legal on squeak

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Mar 28 02:18:52 CET 2003

Hey, THAT's a good idea. This is now a squeakf thread. If you really
think this is too much fun to miss, you know where we are.
There, now people can enjoy Jecel et al without this mess.
People, please answer the legal parts of the "Closure compiler"-derived
threads on squeakfoundation, not on squeak-dev.

About sublicensing - have you read the CPL version of indemnification I
mentioned? sounds reasonable enough to me that maybe the DFSG guys will
accept it, and it seems to provide pretty good protection to Apple (and
the
rest of us).

I marked out the relevant parts at -
http://tai42.xs4all.nl:8099/http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl.php

If this was the main issue Debian Legal was bugged about, this could
help.
Andrew?

Daniel

All the issues raised by debian-legal -

Issues in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2000/debian-legal-200008/msg00117.h
tml)
********************
I`m not sure we can honor the preamble:

   PLEASE READ THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT "LICENSE" CAREFULLY
BEFORE
   DOWNLOADING THIS SOFTWARE. BY DOWNLOADING THIS SOFTWARE YOU ARE
   AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT
AGREE
   TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

The questions is wether this kind of licenses is binding or just void.
********************
Which we could change to "if you do not agree, do not use". Would this
solve the problem?

********************
2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to copy,
   install and use the Apple Software on an unlimited number of
computers
   under your direct control. You may modify and create derivative works
   of the Apple Software ("Modified Software"), however, you may not
   modify or create derivative works of the fonts provided by Apple
   ("Fonts"). You may distribute and sublicense such Modified Software

The "Fonts" is clearly non-free. Can the package use fonts not
provided by Apple?
********************
Remove the fonts before we sublicense, remove that part.

********************
6. Export Law Assurances. You may not use or otherwise export or
   reexport the Apple Software except as authorized by United States law
   and the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was
   obtained.

Doesn`t this alone makes it non-free? I think we have discussed it
several times what it means when licenses explicite referes to some
laws which "isn`t DFSG-free". I think that it makes the license
non-free, but I don`t remember what we have agreed on.
********************

Issues raised at the FSF list, not Debian, just for reference, and it
case it might have merit
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2002-11/msg00115.html
********************
The fonts are definately not Free Software. The choice of law clause is
also
incompatible.
--
-Dave Turner
Free Software Licensing Guru

(I guess he's talking about the following -) Controlling Law and
Severability. If there is a local subsidiary of Apple in the country in
which the Apple Software License was obtained, then the local law in
which the subsidiary sits shall govern this License. Otherwise, this
License shall be governed by the laws of the United States and the State
of California. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds
any provision, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, the remainder of
this License shall continue in full force and effect.
********************

The real hell raiser (because it's so funny)
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200106/msg00003.h
tml
********************
Choice of language (the clause saying that if you live in quebec, the
agreement is still in english)
********************

At
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200105/msg00170.h
tml
********************
  If the Modified Software contains
  modifications, overwrites, replacements, deletions, additions, or
  ports to new platforms of: (1) the methods of existing class objects
  or their existing relationships, or (2) any part of the virtual
  machine, then for so long as the Modified Software is distributed or
  sublicensed to others, such modified, overwritten, replaced, deleted,
  added and ported portions of the Modified Software must be made
  publicly available, preferably by means of download from a website, at
  no charge under the terms set forth in Exhibit A below.

I think this puts the whole package in non-free.  This precludes CD
manufacturers from selling binary CD's and then providing the source
on a separate CD that you have to pay a reasonable duplication fee
for.
I don't understand how this makes it *un*free. It does mean any user can
change, because This may be irrelevant because Squeak always includes
source,