[Squeakfoundation]Network stuff

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue May 6 02:35:05 CEST 2003

These are a few things I seem to recall that motivate my position to
include the network rewrite in 3.6:
- One of the two authors mentioned that Flow/NR are more or less
disjoint.
- NR creates SMTP/POP clients using the new Socket class. These I tested
for all my mail for a few months, and I got to be very happy with them.
- NR itself replaces UI warnings with exceptions. While this immidiately
breaks many applications, we can have a temporary defaultAction to avoid
this effect in 3.6a, giving people time to adjust/find bugs in the core
Socket, if there is any. Then we can use 3.7 to break the interface (by
removing the default actions) and let people adjust the applications.
- These are the changes that are important for applications. Cleanup of
the streams/sockets/external handles are important, but maybe to less
people. While I'd like to get those handled, whether by Flow or
otherwise, I don't see a reason to wait.

Mike, your current stance on this would be useful...

Daniel